Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 April 2014

5 lessons I learnt this Easter

As every Londoner trapped on the island, I try to make most of my bank holiday weekends. Last weekend I headed over to Brussels (yet again!) to catch up with my friends and little did I know about the kind of journey that lay ahead of me. Here are 5 lessons I learnt over the weekend that somehow sum up my legendary escape across the channel and back.




1. Never give up
Thanks to technical difficulties and some tragic accidents on the railway tracks, all Eurostar lines were severely delayed on the day of my outward journey. Thousands of people trying to get home or away for the big bank holiday weekend were stranded at the iconic Kings Cross station. By every passing minute, the station resembled the CST terminal in Mumbai more and more, till a point where they had to bring in special forces to curb the population and start driving passengers away. Amidst this chaos, I decide to nurture my empty stomach with some fruit salad and overhear a group of Belgian women lamenting on the situation to an elderly English gentleman who was struggling to understand their accent. I decide to intervene, partly to help the women get their message across and party curious to know what their plans were to get back home. The result? 2 hours later, the gentleman kindly invites us all to jump the queue with him right to the front where his wife has reached after 4 hours. The moment we do that, Eurostar authorities announce all passengers to Brussels to come forward and 10 minutes later we are fast-tracked to the check-in counter where we are upgraded to business class in order to fill up the seats. I never thought giving up on the journey altogether, to getting an upgraded ticket in 3.5hrs would ever happen to me in this country. But it did, and all because I decided to chill out and try to enjoy the chaos with a group of total strangers.

Passengers stranded at St Pancras station after services were cancelled
Here's a little visual aid for you: Kings Cross last Thursday!

2. Ask and thou shall receive
So in the rush to get at the front of the fast track queue (yes, there's no getting away from those long queues whilst you are in Britain), I befriend another woman who seemed to be struggling with her heavy luggage and give her a hand. We start talking, about the delay, our plans for the weekend and I mention to her that in the midst of all the chaos, I haven't managed to pick up a box of PG tips - the one thing my host wanted from London. Her eyes light up as I mention the tea brand, smiling from ear to ear, she opens her bag and vola! I see three massive boxes of PG Tips! She offers me one for helping her with her luggage, and all I could do was smile back, fighting tears in my eyes and hug her to express my utmost gratitude. The universe works in mysterious ways!

3. Expect the unexpected
After the amazing time I had in this city last year, I had even higher expectations from my weekend this time. Post a hearty pizza dinner, me and my friends marched out in the nippy Friday night, ready to hit our favourite hotspots in the city centre. As we entered our first stopover - The Depot, I realised something was different. It was pretty empty for 11pm on a Friday night... and it hit me a minute later, its the bloody bank holiday weekend! Most people are either out of town or spending time with their families. And no one travels to Brussels to spend a long weekend (apart from me i.e). Just as I was making peace with the fact that this might not be the night I had imagined, four scantily clad girls walk out with fire sticks and LED lighted disco rings on their fingers. They do a little jiggy at the bar entrance, and then walk back to the bar table to light up the pit with fire. No less than 20 minutes later, they are dancing on the bar, airzooka air guns blasting wind in their face and the now full bar responding to their every move. From 2 hours of hardcore dancing (some of it on the bar ofcourse), a short stint at the super sexy Brazilian club and a drunken walk across Grand Place to Delirium later, we were happily perched on the only Kebab takeaway open at 4am, munching away at the carbs that our tired bodies desperately craved. Least to say, the night was way cooler than I had expected it to be!

Christ The Redeemer comes to Brussels


4. As long as you share, you will keep building your family
Right from the elaborate Railway station to the beautiful harbor walks, Antwerp charms you from the moment you get off the train. Beautiful lush parks, cosy little squares dotted with cafe terraces, impressive Gothic cathedrals and a scenic harbour lined with a variety of architecture that ranges from modern to art nouveau and everything in between. We found a little local pub right across the MAS museum, where we parked ourselves for our evening drinks. Sitting beside me, was a couple in their late 50's, dressed in their Sunday best, sipping red wine and some beer. I couldn't help but compliment them on their clothes, and thus started the conversation that lasted 3 blissful hours, involved 5 rounds of drinks, spanned numerous topics that made us laugh and cry and eventually bonded us over a picturesque sunset. That night, I realised the power of simple conversations and what it means to truly share the local culture.

My new amigos in Antwerp


5. Smile, and the world smiles with you
Throughout my trip, I've been extremely lucky and have met some incredible people. From the gentleman who let me jump the queue, the lady who gifted me a box of tea and the family who shared their food with us on the train to my friends who welcomed me back in Brussels with open arms and the couple in Antwerp who made me feel like a part of their regular friend circle, they all had one thing in common, their warm, bedazzling and kind smiles. No matter how hard a situation you are stuck in, always remember there's someone who is having a far worse day than you. Smile, and see the world smile back. There is no better feeling than that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment